What is IPAY Showcase in Place 2021?
Showcase in Place 2021 is a virtual gathering space where the global community for international performing arts for young people can connect with each other to develop new ways
to produce, present, and create performance as our industry changes rapidly around the world.
Showcase in Place includes three distinct programs, 30 adjudicated international Showcases and Show & Tell Spotlights, SiP: IRL and SiP: Superbloom which will be populated by themed
submissions from international artists and producers. You can register as a Delegate or as part of the Virtual Marketplace for a single month at a time, or for a 3-Pack of SiP programs!
Delegate Registration gives you viewing access to our Virtual Marketplace, 2021 Official Selection, monthly production videos with guest curator picks, Kindling and CultureCrew conversations.
All of this is accessed through the Mobile App!
Marketplace Registrants receive all of the above, and their own customizable listing in the Virtual Marketplace on the Mobile App. Special Placement Listings are available!
5 Months of Programming!
October 1 - November 15, 2020
The first and longest SiP Theme is Official Selection. All delegates will receive access to 30 rigorously selected international Showcases (15 shows) and Spotlights (15 shows) adjudicated by the IPAY Selection Committee. Productions have
been selected from 8 different countries, representing a wide spectrum of genres and age ranges. High quality videos will be available for streaming with all registrations. See the Official Selection of Showcase and Spotlights here.
November 23 - December 20, 2020
IRL (IN REAL LIFE) will lift up performing arts for young people created by Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC*), LGBTQIA+* folks, and the Disabled Community. It is imperative that touring productions created by these vibrant artistic
communities are centered, valued, and supported. As the revolutions across the world continue, it has never been more necessary to de-center whiteness and dismantle the systemic colonial structures that dominate in the global PYA sector.
- less than 50% of US children under 15 are white
IRL - more than 50% of US millennials are considered part of the LGBTQIA+ community
IRL - a recent study in California showed 27% of teens identified with some level of gender
IRL - 1 in 6 children (3 to 17) have a disability; 93 million children worldwide have a disability
Where is the work that tells stories by, with and for these communities IN REAL LIFE? IRL will focus the spotlight on productions
for young audiences that serve this mandate. Over the course of the month, IPAY will feature all productions submitted by artists who self-identify with this theme, and take a deeper look at work that is relevant to the world young
people live in and the issues that matter to them. Every young person deserves to not only see themselves on stage, but behind the scenes, in the writers' room, sitting in the director's chair, and wearing the many hats of a producer
*BIPOC- Black, Indigenous, People of Color
*LGBTQIA+ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Asexual/Aromantic, and the other queer identities that exist under this umbrella
January 4 - January 31, 2021
A superbloom is defined as "a rare desert botanical phenomenon in which an unusually high proportion of wildflowers whose seeds have lain dormant in desert soil germinate and blossom at roughly the same time”.
After a severe and extensive
drought, a SuperBloom of flowers appear as the drought is washed away. We’re not sure when the “pandemic drought” will be washed away, but we are confident that a SuperBloom of new creation will flourish when it does. This SiP Theme
focuses on innovation, new creation, digital and on-line offerings and any other new ideas coming out of this COVID world. This theme will include opportunities for pitches on new creation.
What does IPAY Showcase in Place 2021 have to offer?
- OFFICIAL SELECTION: Access to 30 rigorously selected international Showcases and Spotlights adjudicated by the IPAY Selection Committee. High quality videos available for viewing with subscription.
- VIRTUAL MARKETPLACE: Exhibit Hall in the palm of your hand! Meet with colleagues virtually, make new connections, and find solutions for presenting and producing performances. Open 24/7!
- KINDLING: Virtual keynotes, conversations, workshops, and critical response sessions celebrate and explore how we push the boundaries of performing arts for young people.
- GUEST CURATORS: International Guest Curators will select pick lists for the themed submissions IPAY receives from an open call to the global community , bringing visibility to more productions.
- SHOWCASE MOBILE APP: Everything is on the App! Access video streaming, attend the virtual Marketplace, check out the Kindling schedule, message other attendees, post your experience on the activity stream, and
- ACCELERANT: Open Call for Kindling programming! Submit your ideas for workshops, panels, and dialogues to be included in Kindling 2021.
- THEMED SUBMISSIONS: Open Call for video submissions! Each additional month will be dedicated to productions submitted by our community around a specific theme, providing opportunities to view more work. Themes
to be announced soon!
- CULTURECREW: 7 teens and 10 pre-teens from the Philadelphia area gathered virtually and collaborated with youth from The Ark and Syracuse Stage to review and endorse their picks from the Official Selection.
- INTERNATIONAL DELEGATE SERIES: Access to more Global Markets! Optional opportunities for delegates to virtually attend global festivals and engage with their programming.
Images by Wide Eyed Studios | Showcase 2020