IPAY uses IWANTTOSHOWCASE.ca to manage applications and support materials. Artist Applications are accepted online through IWANTTOSHOWCASE.ca only.
Early Bird Deadline
Early Bird Discount is $25. Early Bird Payment deadline is March 28, 11:59pm EST. Accompanying support materials for an Early Bird Application can continue to be uploaded after up until the final deadline.
Final applications, support materials, and payment are due no later than of May 2, 11:59pm EST.
Applicants MUST press COMPLETE on their application inside IWANTTOSHOWCASE.ca in order to finalize submission.
Full 2020 Artist Application fee is $250. Early Bird Discount is $25.
Members of IPAY receive a discount $50 discount on their Artist Application fee. Additionally, there is a substantial discount on any Showcase registrations or Exhibit Booth Registrations for IPAY Members. Become an IPAY member here.
Required Application Materials
- FULL VIDEO: We strongly recommend that you submit a full video of the entire work of art that will tour. The video must reflect the finished state in which the work will be performed at Showcase, with the actual number of touring performers. We accept either YouTube or Vimeo links.
- TECHNICAL RIDER: Complete technical rider
- ELECTRONIC PRESS KIT (EPK): Including company information, reviews of submitted or other work.
- IMAGES: Press image and image of artistic applicant. Include photo credits when prompted in the Touring Info section of the application.
Optional Application Materials:
- Letters of reference from presenters, photographs, script, study guide, or other supporting materials (upload as a Supplemental File on the application.)
If selected to Showcase or Spotlight, the company or the company's agent or manager MUST have an Exhibit Booth at Showcase 2020, which is an additional cost.
Shh...Bang!, Peut-Être Theatre, UK, Showcase Artist 2018, Victor Award Third Runner-Up
What is the criteria used for Selection?
The Selection Committee makes its choices based upon the following criteria.
- The production shows a high degree of artistry within the genre and specific to intended age group. The work demonstrates an overall artistic rationale with regard to form, direction, music, choreography, design, technical aspects and casting.
- The production successfully communicates to and is engaging to young audiences/families relevant to the intended age range.
- The work is created and performed by professionals.
- The work is innovative, relevant, reflective of our communities, and appropriate for youth, young adult or family audiences.
- The production will be evaluated in consideration of its ability to tour, its marketability, and its educational merit.
- The above considerations will be used to evaluate all productions within the context of the individual application pool as well as the international touring market at large.
- Consideration will also be given to the overall balance within all productions selected to Showcase in order to reflect and accommodate diversity in aesthetics, content, audience, age range, genre, scale (audience capacity), and geographic point of origin.
Can I submit applications for more than one production?
Yes. Please complete a separate application for each production for which you are applying. If you are applying with several productions, please use the same Applicant Profile inside IWANTTOSHOWCASE.ca. An application fee is required per application.
Can my agent apply on my behalf?
Yes. Applications may be submitted by individual artists, companies, their agents, or managers. If the application is being submitted by anyone other than the artist, an Applicant Profile for the artistic company should be created and used for the application. If the artist is represented by an agent, you MUST specify that within the application.
Does the work need to be finished to apply?
Yes. The work for which you are applying must be completed by the date of your application. As part of the selection process the Selection Committee will review a complete online (ie Vimeo or YouTube) video of the entire piece you plan to tour.
Why do I need a full video?
We strongly recommend you submit a full length, professionally edited video, even if it is archival. We do recognize that some Equity agreements make this difficult but it will benefit the review of your application if the Selection Committee can review unbroken footage of the actual show you plan to tour with.
IPAY accepts YouTube or Vimeo links. Please set the link to PUBLIC, or provide a password in your application.
Does the work need to be in English?
Yes, if the work was created in a language other than English, it must be translated into English to be considered by the Committee. All productions selected to Showcase must be performed in English.
Does the work need to be tour-ready to apply?
It is not required that the work has previously toured, but it must be considered finished in order to Showcase or Spotlight. As part of the selection process the Selection Committee will need to review a full video (ie Vimeo or YouTube) of the actual piece you plan to tour. If selected for Showcase, the work must be ready to tour to Showcase in January 2020.
How do I get selected to spotlight?
Artists/companies that make it to the final round of Selection, but are not selected for Showcases will be considered to perform a Show or Tell Spotlight. Spotlights will be curated based on the selection committee's review of the applications. If you would like to be considered for a Spotlight, you must indicate that on your application.
What are Show & Tell Spotlights?
Show Spotlights are 20-minute, minimal tech excerpts of the show, while Tell Spotlights are 5-7 minute pitch sessions with video capacity.
Do I submit my application and materials by mail or electronically?
Applications and support materials are only accepted online. Support materials such as tech riders may be uploaded within the application. IPAY will accept video as either a YouTube or Vimeo web-based link. Please set the link to PUBLIC, or provide a password in your application.
How many applications are received each year and how many companies showcase?
IPAY generally receives 100–150 applications. Up to 14 companies Showcase plus up to an additional 14 companies receive an opportunity for Show & Tell Spotlight.
When does the committee meet?
The Selection Committee will meet June 17–19, 2019 in Philadelphia, PA to review applications for Showcase 2020. It is helpful if the contacts you list on your application are available during that time should we have questions.
When will I hear if I've been selected to Showcase?
IPAY will notify artist/companies that have been selected to Showcase in the middle of July 2019. Alternate and Spotlight artists will be contacted at a later date.
Who pays for artists to Showcase?
For artists, Showcase is an investment in a marketing opportunity to sell work that is ready to tour. Artists are not paid for their performances by IPAY. IPAY pays for and provides the venue and a portion of the production costs (which includes an approx. four-hour load in, house light plot and running crew). It is up to each artist to secure funding from their company, government, arts council, and constituents to attend (including travel, freight, per diems, accommodations, visas, artist fees, etc) and to pay for production costs beyond the IPAY provision.
IPAY works to meet the needs of all companies but may not be able to accommodate all the requirements in your standard rider. Please note that Showcase is a festival setting and you may be required to condense your regular load-in and technical schedule to less than four hours, in addition to working within a festival light plot. Showcase Artists/Companies may be responsible for production expenses which include but are not limited to charges for additional technical labor, back line gear, equipment rental, pyrotechnic permits, etc.
What expenses are involved in Showcasing?
Transportation to, from, or within Philadelphia to the designated venue, accommodations and per diem while in Philadelphia or en route for artistic, technical, and representative's personnel; production or display materials; transportation or storage of freight; and visas if applicable.
If you are selected to Showcase or Spotlight, company or company's agent or manager MUST have an exhibit booth, which is an additional cost.
Do I need to be an IPAY member to apply?
No, non-member can apply, but members of IPAY receive a discount $50 discount on their Artist Application fee. Additionally, there is a substantial discount on any Showcase registrations or Exhibit Booth Registrations for IPAY Members. Become an IPAY member here.
How many people attend Showcase?
Approximately 500 people including presenters, artists and agents attend Showcase each year. Find out more about Showcase here.